• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram box scale Cessna 182

Monogram box scale Cessna 180

Thanks for looking and commenting.
I've finally got the roof and instrument panel installed and am fitting the (home made) plunge formed windshield (the new roof and old windshield aren't compatible.

h30526de.JPG

hc67ddc3.JPG

the old windshield (V notched)
hef82682.JPG

new windshield
h8f227f0.JPG

Fine job Chris. I used the original windshield on the two I built. I can't remember how I modified it, and I've deleted the file pix I had.

Is that engine fuel injected? You'll have to build an injection system if it was. Or do like I would do and say I modified it to normally aspirated and you can't see the carb on the bottom. :D

Thanks guys!
James, it’s carbureted all right! I’m not doing much more with the engine...I don’t think....I’ve got it painted and weathered (no pics though) and I’m hoping to get some primer on and check for flaws soon.

fitting wings to the model, thought I'd mock it up and see what it looks like. the tie downs are pins that go through the struts and up through the wings to locate and pin the wings in place.
h9c9ce4d.JPG

h3ed4dce.JPG

h55314b9.JPG

Looking very nice Chris (y) Help me out here as I'm not sure of all the Cessna products .

Am I to understand the 180 came in both a trike and a tail drager ? I have only seen the tail drager

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian
You’re correct, yes the 180 is a tail dragger. the version of Cessna I’m building here is a Cessna 182, from what I can tell of differences it looks like the same airframe as a 180 with tricycle landing gear...at least in the early versions, the 180 and 182 went their different ways quite drastically in later versions with the 182 looking a lot more like a 172 than a 180/185
Hope that helps?

I always thought the model number was based on the engine displacement, guess not.

She looks good and square Chris :popcorn

Thanks pup!
I’m not sure how Cessna came up with model numbers....at one time (when I was young n silly) I thought the higher numbers were newer models.

Cessna model numbers have a loose relationship to aircraft size, and within that progression, age and capacity or performance. A marketing thing, I guess. Not sure any numbers were used before the 190, 195, though the Airmaster did have a number associated with it. Postwar, it went 120, then the 140 was an improved 120. The 170 was next, 170, 170A, and 170B. Then the 180. After that the 172 which was a trigear 170B with other changes. Then the 182 which was a trigear 182. After that you almost need a tour guide for the singles. The 140A became the 150 which has been through many changes until becoming the 152. The 172 did the same, with the 175, 172XP, and the 172RG. The Cardinal was a new airframe, as the 177 and 177RG. Then there was the 182RG. The 180 had many changes and early on the 185 emerged from it and both changed in a sort of parallel fashion. The 182 morphed into the first 210, and also the 205/206. The single engine models range up to the 210/P210. Twin engine models are in the 300 and 400 number range, 310/320/335/340/402/404/414/414A/421/421A/421B. 425 and 441 are turboprop. 400 numbers contain cabin class pistons and turboprops,500 and up are jets.

Fine job Chris, that there airplane looks good. (y)

One Cessna model nobody mentions is the 182 and a half, which is what we called the 185 with the 260 HP engine. On floats that thing was a dog, compared with the 300 HP E model. And if doggy wasn't bad enough, they had the same Edo 2870 floats as the 180. You had to be really careful turning into wind after taxiing downwind to avoid capsizing. We inherited three of them when the company I worked for at the time took over another. We had two E models with 300 HP on Edo 2960 floats. Now there was a performer, so the company modified the three inherited machines with an engine upgrade and a 22-inch float extension aft of the step. Made going concerns outta them.

Thanks guys
I never felt safe walking on those round top floats...never!
The very first aircraft I ever flew in was a Cessna 180 at the tender age of...well...single digits age, but I remember that roar when it took off to this very day, and love that sound to this very day as well! The old Monogram model 180 was also my first model build, there's been a few since then but like the original it's still the best! I have thrown out and given away models that have taken literally months (year?) to build, kits from the stash that were bought with the best intentions... but will never part with my Monogram Cessna's!

Thanks for looking!
I've added my crash molded w/s and have glued all the major parts together. I didn't get a great fit of the windshield but I'm going to have to live with it.
Fitting the w/s
h3cda176.JPG

Glued up and sanded smooth, still needs rivet divots and maybe panel lines etc.

h53da4ad.JPG

h32d08fc.JPG

h25ea53f.JPG

Hmmmm, I may have to do something with the landing light. After looking at the pics. I'm not sure I am convinced by it. I am currently trying to make nav. lights and possibly a anti-collision beacon. We'll see how that goes.

Gloss black primer and base on now...I orange peeled in a couple of spots (buck fever?) and put a big thumb print on the leading edge of one wing...I know because I have black paint on my thumb!
h865ce57.JPG

Back