• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell's 1/72 U-Boot VII C "Wolf Pack"

Nice work (y)
You may need to consider a little more weathering on the C Tower and some chipping on the steel deck?

:popcorn

Ian

Gents, thank you yet again for your compliments. I am really appreciative and it really means a lot to me.

Ian mate, your submarine is an extraordinary piece. I have always wanted to build this sub, ever since I saw the kit for the first time. Your diorama is an extra bit of motivation and inspiration, just like the Dragon and the Wolf was for my Dragon & Me 262 thingy - not a diorama, not even a vignette :D

The tower is only at the beginning of weathering, the deck is a bit more advanced. There's a lot to be done, faded paint, chips, rust, algae residue on the steel deck and so on.

What I have in mind for this one is the sub fighting some big waves in the Atlantic, off the West African coast - lots of rust and salt and chipped paint and algae and everything else that can impact a ship during a long patrol in warm waters. I won't cut the sub like you did, it will be mounted in a box that I managed to put together today (needs sanding and finishing properly).

Doing the water will be a huge challenge. I have some ideas, but I could really use all the advice I can get , so please, let me know what your thoughts are, all opinions count.

Many thanks again,

Laurence

Laurence,
sorry to jump in there early mate, didn't realise the conning tower was still in progress.....i should read more of the explanation. :tomato
I am glad I inspired the idea to go a bit further.
The idea sounds really challenging if you will be using the full hull in a full wave sea showing above and below - good luck, I will be watching :dude :popcorn
Tips, i would probably use a clear layer of perspex through the centre of the water/waves holding the sub around the hull but allowing this stable base to be built on with resin or whatever medium above the water line.

Ian

Gents, thank you yet again for your compliments. I am really appreciative and it really means a lot to me.

Ian mate, your submarine is an extraordinary piece. I have always wanted to build this sub, ever since I saw the kit for the first time. Your diorama is an extra bit of motivation and inspiration, just like the Dragon and the Wolf was for my Dragon & Me 262 thingy - not a diorama, not even a vignette :D

The tower is only at the beginning of weathering, the deck is a bit more advanced. There's a lot to be done, faded paint, chips, rust, algae residue on the steel deck and so on.

What I have in mind for this one is the sub fighting some big waves in the Atlantic, off the West African coast - lots of rust and salt and chipped paint and algae and everything else that can impact a ship during a long patrol in warm waters. I won't cut the sub like you did, it will be mounted in a box that I managed to put together today (needs sanding and finishing properly).

Doing the water will be a huge challenge. I have some ideas, but I could really use all the advice I can get , so please, let me know what your thoughts are, all opinions count.

Many thanks again,

Laurence

Ian, don't you worry mate, any comments are most welcome. Suggestions can only help, especially from someone who has done a superb job with this kit.

My thinking is that, although I will be showing the whole sub, not all of it will be visible, due to the rough seas. Most of the saddle tanks, the bow in particular and everything above the water line of course, but not much else below. I will be using clear resin, well, it's got a slightly green tint, got it from Bunnings, dries rock solid, easy to Dremel if needed.

Thanka again for your suggestions, keep'em coming if you have the time to post in here, I really appreciate it.

Box below - WIP of course

h54258a1.JPG

Laurence

Bit of an update - saddle tanks redone - there was too much rust and looked too symmetrical where there should not.
Steel sections of the deck are almost weathered, made a start on the wooden deck and tower.

As always, please feel free to make comments and suggestions, MUCH appreciated :notworthy

h33062e8.JPG

h4ddc2d5.JPG

h5fd30cf.JPG

h067598e.JPG

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Wooo... salty. :popcorn

Yup, and there's more to come :D

Take a look at this one below, and that was a sub coming home from the North Atlantic, it's a lot worse for those sailing south, in warm waters and hot weather.

h7f9647f.jpg

Luiz, thanks a lot for your kind words Sir :notworthy

Laurence

Bit of an update ...conning tower done, deck almost done.

h3ac08d0.JPG

Then, some photos of the sub and the base for the diorama - shows how big this thing is.

h0ad47d5.JPG

h1f75193.JPG

Thanks for watching and excuse the messy desk :blush:

Laurence

Most impressive Laurence!

Great job on the weathering!!

(you should see my desk at the moment!!!) :woohoo:

Magnificent work on the sub! That is really looking like a tough, well used old tub fighting high seas in the North Atlantic. You've captured the essence of a sub on a long hard patrol.

Also... what messy desk?!! :blink :blink I'm sorry but I don't see one. Call me when you get a REAL mess on that desk!
:good:

Gents, all of you are way too kind, I really appreciate your words :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Taking my time with this one, not rushing as I used to, so, if you have the patience to watch this build, there will be more updates (hopefully soon).

Thank you friends,

Laurence

Back