• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell's 1/72 U-Boot VII C "Wolf Pack"

I third that motion. That is some of the most realistic looking rough seas I've seen yet. I can't wait to see this painted up.

Thank you Gentlemen, much appreciated :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Work continued today, added more celluclay to the starboard of the sub and started making a big wave hitting the hull right where the wing ballast tank forms an angle with the hull.

Photos below:

h69849e7.JPG

hbc5f98b.JPG

Hopefully, more will be done tomorrow. Will keep posting when I have more progress pics.

Thank you again for watching and very kind compliments.

Laurence

Thank you Gentlemen, much appreciated :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Work continued today, added more celluclay to the starboard of the sub and started making a big wave hitting the hull right where the wing ballast tank forms an angle with the hull.

Photos below:

h69849e7.JPG

hbc5f98b.JPG

Hopefully, more will be done tomorrow. Will keep posting when I have more progress pics.

Thank you again for watching and very kind compliments.

Laurence

That's pretty slick look'n Laurence. :popcorn

Thank you again for your kindest comments.

Work is progressing, the Sydney Plastic Model Expo is on the 22nd of October. This is still to have all the water done and painted, layer upon layer, plus the drying time. Might be cutting it short.

Ocean is now almost done, rectification and improvements here and there are needed, but the bulk is done. What follows from here is the water over the deck and around the vents, conning tower, figures, antennae (still waiting for my wire to arrive :vmad ) and then the plaque on the base plus some other bits and pieces.

Anyway, progress photos below, work done near the bow, that was the final patch of ocean that needed doing.

I wanted to show some drama coming from stormy water, big waves and stuff like that.

h16f6ebc.JPG

hf94ae0a.JPG

h030fc24.JPG

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Very cool stuff. Just as a side note, I recently saw in a Fine Scale Modeler where a guy was using cotton batton on his ships for water. Might be worth while exploring for your sub. Maybe using small amounts on the bow crest for the water that atomized into a mist? Otherwise really enjoying the work you are putting into this.
James

No idea at all how to approach painting something like this !!. Kudos to you, Laurence for attempting in the first place.

Ian.

Very cool stuff. Just as a side note, I recently saw in a Fine Scale Modeler where a guy was using cotton batton on his ships for water. Might be worth while exploring for your sub. Maybe using small amounts on the bow crest for the water that atomized into a mist? Otherwise really enjoying the work you are putting into this.
James

Thanks James, I appreciate your kind words.

I have seen quite a few models where cotton was involved, one way or the other, various amounts, from barely visible to half a plantation. I must be honest, I never really liked it, although, I must admit that I appreciate the attempt.

Ian, I have been looking at Lewis Pruneau diorama and our friend's, Ian Hill here and I am still wondering what the heck was I thinking. On the flip side, and it is the side that prevails, I am loving this, always wanted to do it. Deep breath, take the leap of faith and there we go :D

MP - here are the first session's photos - 8 hours today, photos were taken 6 hours into it.

Luiz, thank you Sir :notworthy

ha996261.JPG

hbfaeb2c.JPG

Hopefully I will get the chance to do more tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

The color and splash work is excellent! Personally I am not usually a fan of waterline stuff, but this is different!

(y)

Thank you MP, Paul, Christian, James :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

This has been challenging, not just because of the size of this whole thing, can't work on it at the bench, have to take it out on the balcony, but because of the complexity of doing the water and a couple of things coming from the kit as well.

The biggest flaw with this kit is the rigging. As we all know, these subs had one antenna wire from the tower to the bow, attached to the net cutter, and two antennae going to the stern, from the tower to the rear, attached to the deck. Along these wires there are a number of insulators, and, of course, the hooks used to attach the wires to the brackets and so on.

The insulators in the kit are dreadfully out of scale, even the wires between them are cast in plastic. Totally wrong. On top of that, the kit provides a black thread for the antenna wire itself. Not the best quality thread either if you ask me.

Initially, because I was doing the wrong thing, I used the thread provided and bought some much better shaped and sized things to be used as insulators. Hated it as soon as I had it done.

After taking a break from this project in late October, I decided to change the wires and make good on the water, which was not as good as I wanted it to be. Doesn't quite show in the photos, but upclose it's visible and I hated that.

Now I am using something called Tiger Tail wire, from a craft shop. It's metal, very easy to work with. I am using brass tube and a bit of CA to make it look realistic.

Photo of the original wire and the updated version, side by side.

h26de378.JPG

And a photo with the materials used. The brass tube, I cut it in segments of 5mm in length, dremel it a bit at one end, then attach the wire using CA.

hbcd0cb5.JPG

This might take a while, but it has to be done.

Thanks for watching,
Laurence

Back