• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya P-38F build

Tamiya P-38F and New Paint build review

Brilliant job, Paul!... congratulations :good:

Being done according your usual excelent way of modelling (y)

Luiz.

Tamiya P-38E and New Paint build review

Nice progress.

I have looked at the Arbor press from Micro-Mark and always held off - glad I did!

John I did some looking around and found this one. This actually looks like a really good arbor press for hobby items like punch and die which is what I use mine for.

h57ce84b.jpg

Here is the link: Bald Eagle Be1001 Mini Arbor Press

If you would like I can look around to see if there are any others that would be useful.

One more thing this appears to be made for use in ammunition loading. I seriously doubt it will be junk like the micro mark press is. Also the Micro Mark press is about $50 while this one can be had for about $75. I think that is a no brainer and would jump on it if I didn't already have 2 different presses.

Tamiya P-38F build review

Or there is this one. The Proxxon micro press.

hfed1143.jpg

I think this is what the Micro Mark press is modeled after. This link shows the picture and has the name though the description is off. These are rather pricey if you look around for them. So be careful on the link I have here.

That is why I did the warning on it. I would really like to get one as it looks to have goodies to bend metal and do other things. Plus it looks like a well made tool.

Anyway I showed some better tools than the POS Micro Mart one.

hfed1143.jpg

I think this is what the Micro Mark press is modeled after.

Micro-Mark actually blatantly copied NorthWest ShoreLine's Sensi-Press, see link:

I've warned people to stay away from Micro-Mark (only now I realized Micro-Mart is Micro-Mark) for a long time since their manager started producing pirated designs:

https://www.modelersalliance.org/forum/in-the-navy/44790-schnellboot-s-100?start=168#118921

Add to that a copy of Mission Models' Grabhandler:
hu8634X.jpg

and the original:
320921-15517-68-pristine.jpg

Regards,

Thanks Saul!

I remember you posting something quite a while back just after I bought my arbor press. With my upgrades it is usable now but it was a POS when I first got it. It could still use a little more rework on the press shaft. I also wouldn't use it on anything must more than what I currently use it on.

I just did a really scathing review of the press-it tool on Micro Mart. Wouldn't surprise me if it gets removed. Probably should do a detailed review on my POS and what I had to do in order to make it worthwhile.

As to the P-38 (yeah time to get back on topic) I was able to use a Vallejo color to blend the crap paint to the zinc chromate colors I like to use.

Looking good Paul, that is too bad about the paint. I did a similar thing with Agama paint once and had trouble. Since then, I always test new paint on my paint mule first.

Keep at it though, looking awesome!

I just noticed last night that Eduard just released their PE set for the cockpit and a few other incorrect details on this kit. Wish I had waited just a little bit longer as the 'pit has some issues. I will be getting the seatbelt set though as the kit decal sucks.

I have still been plugging away at this kit. The fit on the parts so far is excellent. All the small items and panels in the wings fit perfectly. I am only going to need a little filler at the join between the wing top and bottom to clean up the slight line where the join is and a little on the sides of the fuselage where they join.

Lots of assembly, and have changed the build order a little to have things in better sub assemblies for painting.

Here we go...

Tam-P-38F-029.jpg

Tam-P-38F-030.jpg

Tam-P-38F-031.jpg

Tam-P-38F-032.jpg

Tam-P-38F-033.jpg

Tam-P-38F-034.jpg

Tam-P-38F-035.jpg

Tam-P-38F-036.jpg

Tam-P-38F-037.jpg

I should get a bit more done over the weekend. It has turned out cold here and don't have much desire to get out in it.

There are still more parts to go in the main gear wells. The instructions have you building one well and doing a bunch of stuff then building the other. I chose to build them up side by side which really works better, (expecially for painting. The superchargers got a little TLC and each one has 4 parts to it. I decided to change that up as well (after testing to see if I could even do it different). They are fine and nicely detailed as well.

Nice progress so far (y) I'm going to wait for a later version assuming I don't do ahead with my Academy kit first. I have been using the liquid chrome markers for the reflectors in landing lights and the like, quicker and easier than paint.

Time for another update as I just keep plugging away at this little beastie. The parts fit has been quite good with one exception, the air intake for the oil coolers.

I have added the photo etch from Eduard to the various external items. They are much better than the decals and some of the other marginal detail on the vents. In addition the gear doors "were" quite heavily detailed with surface items. The actual doors just barely show the circles if you get the light just right and look hard. That had to go.

Anyway time for more photos.

Tam-P-38F-038.jpg

Tam-P-38F-039.jpg

Tam-P-38F-040.jpg

Tam-P-38F-041.jpg

Tam-P-38F-042.jpg

Tam-P-38F-043.jpg

Tam-P-38F-044.jpg

Tam-P-38F-045.jpg

Tam-P-38F-046.jpg

Tam-P-38F-047.jpg

Tam-P-38F-048.jpg

If I had to do the gear doors over, I would have just barely left the little circles. As of now they just have to be smoothed down a lot as they will be aluminum finish which shows all kinds of flaws.

Looking really good.

Sorry you had a bad time with paint. I'm sticking with stinky enamel/lacquer paints, the acrylics and I do not see eye to eye.

All these 'hard yards' will pay-off later, Paul... 'doing a great job on this, matey (y)

Ian.

Back