• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya P-38F build

Thanks Bob, it will be on hold for a few days while I am back in Tulsa and I am planning on a Friday visit to Dad. Hopefully the rain will stay reasonable for the trip.

Beautiful. Work, tools, all of it.

Thanks Jeff. It was one of those things where "I need some way to hold this", "Oh yeah! I made some tools"

Thanks for looking in Jeff!

When I made the tools a while back, I tried to envision what and how they would and could be used. I made several tips for the one on the nose to cover options, and could make another quickly and easily enough if needed. The tail piece had a bit more thought and it "just works" so far.

Beautiful work Paul and gadgets galore! :notworthy

Thanks also for looking in Dave!

The point of the "gadgets" ;) B) is to hold the fiddely parts safely so it is possible to do the extra mile (or two) that are needed without beating my head on the wall. Too many red spots and dents on my walls already, why add more. :bang head

I am lucky in that I now have the means and ability to come up with the gadgets in the first place. Many years ago a friend asked me why I bought the small mill I have. What was I planning on doing with it. My answer was that I had no plans to do anything, but that having it allowed me to plan things. I remember back in the 80's wanting to do some things, but without a mill of any sort I just could not do any of them.

Just Outstanding work as usual. I really like seeing all the gizmos and doodadz you come up with to assist in the build of your projects.
:v

Thanks Eric! A lot of it comes from having been a draftsman, mechanical designer in the past and being a watchmaker now. When I was a mechanical designer I built many prototypes by hand and it gave alot if insight to doing jigs and fixtures. As a watchmaker a lot of things have to be done with special tools so that is my mind set these days. While I could do a lot of this in wood or plastic, I have a lot of access to doing it in aluminum so that is what I do.

Again, thanks for looking in!

This has been sitting on my bench since before Thanksgiving and I have had no mojo to really build on much. I had gone in there and made a couple of new rivet wheels from some old watch parts, but that was about the extent of it.

This afternoon I finally just went in, sat down, put on several Wild Wild West DVDs and got busy. The booms and upper main wing are now fully riveted. I still have the underside of the main wing and the horizontal stabilizer, elevator, and rudders along with the main gear doors.

At least got another step done. WooHoo!

Tam-P-38F-061.jpg

Tam-P-38F-062.jpg

Tam-P-38F-063.jpg

Tam-P-38F-064.jpg

Tam-P-38F-065.jpg

I will have Christmas Day to work on this again and then most of next week I will be off so maybe I can get some real work done on this.

Thanks for looking in!

Insanity of the tools!!!....I love it!!! I always get a kick out of seeing what you come up with. :notworthy

Thanks for looking Bob and Eric!

Yeah I like to make tools. Been that way ever since I can remember. When my late wife gave me the opportunity to get the tooling (to make tools) I jumped at it. Have never regretted that. Also being a watchmaker gives quite a number of advantages with the little wheels and such. I had to replace the little funky escape wheel as one of the teeth on the first one broke off. :facepalm

While the Mojo has been down a little bit, I have managed to at least get a little done. The kit is starting to fight with me though. Both booms once attached, were warped so the vertical stabilizers were twisted to the right. I fixed that but ended up with another problem that was also fixed. The tail parts fit has some problems. Someone goofed and it ends up being a nasty mess up on an otherwise decent kit.

Here are some pics.
Tam-P-38F-066.jpg

Tam-P-38F-067.jpg

Tam-P-38F-068.jpg

Tam-P-38F-069.jpg

Tam-P-38F-070.jpg

Right now I am rather disappointed with the kit. But with that I will see what can be done with the paint. I will doe some heavy experimenting and if that craps this get to be a paint mule.

WOW that is nerves of steel!!! :notworthy...I would need a shot of Thorazine after trying something like that :gogo

I always use hot water on the stove with a thermometer. Water heated to 190F, dipped the boom end for a few seconds (4 or 5 count), then the end in cold water and then manually twisted in the correct direction. It took several tries on each to get them to line up. The slight shrinkage was caused by the thin part. If I had to do it again I would take a ladle and pour the hot water over the area in pink and keep the heat off the vertical stab. If the part was a little heavier it wouldn't have shrunk, but it is rather thin to reduce the weight.

Looking good. I've seen this kit reviewed on u-tube claiming the fit and alignment was spot on. For the price, I'll stick with the old Hasagawa kit. Gary S. XXXXV XX XX :drinks

This kit was one of those from the Nats thus probably a early-production shot. As to the shrinkage, usually that isn't an issue as I have learned to control the heating quite well and have a bit of experience (remember the K'Tinga?). The shrinkage probably wouldn't have been an issue at all except the area affected is thin and lightened to prevent the tail dragging possibility. Thicker parts would not have been affected at all.

The fit/gaps with the horiz. stabilizer though I would suggest fit it together with the rudders in place and then figure out just how you want to glue it. Something isn't quite right in that area and it will need a touch of filler either at the front fairing area, or the rear between the end of the boom and the notch.

Back