• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya P-38F build

What happened to this ? I just cracked open my Tamiya P-38 box to start it. Where did you get the plans for the rivet detail?

What happened to this ? I just cracked open my Tamiya P-38 box to start it. Where did you get the plans for the rivet detail?
It got placed on the back burner shelf. I have quite a number of references on my computer and imported the rivet detail to my favorite editor and created 1/48th scale drawings to print out on my large carriage printer. PM me and I can e-mail you a PDF of the file I made. One of these days I will jump back on it. Just doing a number of other builds for learning different processes first.

It got placed on the back burner shelf. I have quite a number of references on my computer and imported the rivet detail to my favorite editor and created 1/48th scale drawings to print out on my large carriage printer. PM me and I can e-mail you a PDF of the file I made. One of these days I will jump back on it. Just doing a number of other builds for learning different processes first.
I know all too well of that back burner. PM inbound.

I did my first natural metal finish on a P-47 for MMM back in March. It was one of the things I needed to do before getting to the paint on this one. Also, virtually all modeling for me is shut down probably for the next month or so until I get my house put back together from the water leak.

Thanks for looking in!

Jeeze, how bad was the damage?
Kitchen, dining area (tile), living room (wood laminate flooring) had to pull up the floor. Then both back bedrooms had water under the laminate flooring along the inside walls. One room is my work room, and the other had a bunch of models stored in boxes. Only 2 kit boxes had minor water damage. The floors however have to have the wood laminate ALL pulled up as it traps any water under the plastic underlayment. Which means everything has to be packed up and put up out in the garage or in the dining area. Want to go back with a wood pattern porcelain tile (no water problems with flooring with that stuff). Anyway, I am off next week so can get it all moved around and ready for the flooring to be redone. Just can't really do any hobby stuff till it all gets done.

I have never liked how laminate is placed and has the bump strips where it meets tile and carpeting. That is why I am going to pay the difference to go with a wood pattern ceramic/porcelain type tile. No water pproblems with that. I will take up and keep the laminate that is still good and place it on top of the tile in my work area to protect it from tools I drop.

You on a concrete slab?
This is the issue I had with some bamboo flooring in the new house. Long story short the installer didn't know how to do it.
1625187992016.png

It's much better now.

1625188015496.png

Yes it is on a slab Bob. The flooring all came up quite quickly. Amazingly enough there was no standing water under the floor even though the slab was damp, it started to dry out within a few minutes.

If I use the kind of floor I want they will have to do a little leveling of the slab. One place in particular in my current work room there is quite a hill. You can feel it when stepping down around it. I suspect they might have to grind the slab down a touch in addition to floating around it. I won't accept any toe stubbers in there.

This is something that I am looking at. I think the contractor said something about it is a porcelain tile. My daughter recommended getting tile about 3 ft long to avoid some of the problems with slightly uneven slab. (she does interior design for kitchen and other renovations)

IMG_51421.jpg

Hey Paul

I am impressed with the detail and the clarity of your explanations. Thanks for providing such a good seminar, I have learned a lot from reading this post. Amazing.

Cheers

Alex

Hey Paul

I am impressed with the detail and the clarity of your explanations. Thanks for providing such a good seminar, I have learned a lot from reading this post. Amazing.

Cheers

Alex
You always welcome Alex. When I do my builds I try to think ahead about what and how to do things. Sometimes it gets me in trouble as I try to do too much. ;) If it can make a good reference build for someone else then it is all worthwhile.

Thanks for looking in my friend!

Since Paddy was asking about the new Tamiya P-38J I am bumping this one up again. Yeah it is another shelf queen that I will eventually jump back on. After reviewing the build, I now remember how disappointed I was with the twist on the rear of the booms. I do remember that they were quite thin and petite, so I am sure that was part of why they ended up slightly warped. Would do some things different now if I had to do it again.

what is it they say ? forewarned is forearmed :) I doubt i would ever take a model down to rivet detail TBH, i just cant get that involved.
My guess is that your paint problems were a thinners reaction identical to the problems i had with that stuff Hannants used to sell.

what is it they say ? forewarned is forearmed :) I doubt i would ever take a model down to rivet detail TBH, i just cant get that involved.
My guess is that your paint problems were a thinners reaction identical to the problems i had with that stuff Hannants used to sell.
Except the thinner was from the same brand made for those paints. After the bit of troubles that I had and saw, those paints went in the bin.

Back