• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Operation Hunley Petticoat

Well that was fun, slopped a blob on a finished base and started to move it around some with several objects, then got smart. This stuff is acrylic so I got an old paint brush, wet it down and started blobbin it around. The wet brush made the past more wet of course but it started settling down like water. I grab a 1:1200 waterline hull the Lexington and created a wake. Will let it setup tonight and see what it looks like in the am.

MP,

Believe it or not, ocean water from the air, (Which is how the Hunley will be viewed), is not glossy. It has a kind of semi-gloss pattern to it. Here is a shot of Lewis' U-Boat.

Lewis_U-Boat.jpg

I have used this system and so have others. Laurence, (White Wolf) had on his U-Boat and is planning on doing it to his Bismarck.

h2c2d17a.JPG

If you are interested, I'll give you the system to do it with. It is done entirely with Cell-u-clay and painted with artist's oils.

Dad

Here are some photos of ocean water from the air. Note, it isn't glossy as one would think. It has a matt to a semigloss appearance with an intricate pattern.

images-1~0.jpeg

images.jpeg

1547483083294-28244716129_c73fe01928_k.jpeg

Just remember that the Hunley was used in fairly calm water and not far from shore. Don't get too aggressive with your water waves, and the wake would flow along the sides of the hull and stay close to the hull as it is moving. When I see ship builds in water and they have the goofy lines of waves (wakes :blink ) coming out at weird angles from the hull it gets a thumbs down.

The two builds that Dad posted are good examples. Lewis's boat isn't really moving forward as much as it is just surfacing. Laurence's boat is also not moving forward at speed and is in some turbulent water.

Think this: ========> Not this >>=>>==>

Paul is right! I'm not by any stretch a Civil War expert, but, I would assume the Hunley would have been primarily off the coasts of Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia and East Florida. The Atlantic coast is typically a darker, dirtier blue gray color than off the Gulf coast which can be as light colored as aquamarine blue. Sometimes in modeling, we have to leave our preconceived notions that water is transparent behind. When you are swimming in it, it is transparent and glossy. With model ships, the scale effect is from the air as you are viewing it as you would in real life from above as in a plane. Considering that, hardly any water is transparent from the air except perhaps swimming pools and very shallow rivers and canals and some coastlines very near the beach. In the Atlantic, fairly near the coast, the first photo above would likely resemble the water surrounding the Hunley, possibly even more calm than that.

Even deep rivers such as the Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio and Columbia are not transparent from the air and they are not glossy. Most bodies of water are only the color of the sky being reflected off the surface of the water. The texture and turbulence is determined by the wind. I have seen clear resins used to a nice effect, but never when the ship model is in the water and will be viewed from above the surface. I've seen it most effectively used when under the surface with a sunken ship or a U-boat that is under water and things such as that.

I rarely get into these discussions because there are so many ways to create illusions in modeling. Modeling is an art, not a science. As sure as i tell you that the Cell-u-clay and oils are the only way, or even the best way, some clever, imaginative somebody will come along and prove me wrong. What I love about modeling is that the rules can always be broken using imagination and/or creativity. Nothing is ever etched in stone!

The Hunley operated out of Breach Inlet between Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island. She went in and out of the inlet with with the tides. It wouldn't be that smooth but you are right about the color.

So here's my attempt at sculpting water.
hc15a720.jpg

No..it's not dry...

h319e4a0.jpg

Looks like this stuff is going to be slow drying, but we are very humid around here today, mid 70s and nothing but rain so that'll have an effect.

I might go with the Cell-U-Clay, think it will dry quicker. Y'all know me, I want instant gratification. :evil:

And for the color of the water there, check this out. Nasty stuff

https://goo.gl/maps/32qgguKXb2wWK77W7

Mike is right about the drying! I have never used the product you are using. I always have Liquitex Modeling paste and use it for many things, just never tried it for water. Hell, it may work better than Cell-u-clay? Cell-u-clay dries fast but.... it can leave cracks as Mike said, so you have to process it differently than via the instructions. This could be interesting. So far it looks fine!

I don't have a clue where the Isle of Palms or Sullivans Island is??? Must be a Carolina thing! :) I couldn't go to your google image as my browser needs upgrading but your description sounds right.

Isle of Palms and Sullivan's are barrier islands just north of Charleston. Sully's is where Fort Moultrie is located. Lots of history out there. Next trip out this direction y'all need to visit.

Isle of Palms and Sullivan's are barrier islands just north of Charleston. Sully's is where Fort Moultrie is located. Lots of history out there. Next trip out this direction y'all need to visit.

We'd love to do that!!! Maybe someday! However, we've been there. You've never been here! Wilson Creek Battlefield is almost in our back yard, one of the first battles and a bloody battle of the Civil war. Springfield is in the middle of the areas where Bloody Bill Anderson and William Quantrill, Jesse James, The Daltons and the Youngers hung out. Wild Bill Hickok killed his first man on the public square in Springfield and historians claim that was the first of the fast draw gunfights on the streets of the old west!

Did you get the hint? :)

Yes sir! :salute

Now that's a proper way for a son to answer his Dad! :)

Seriously, I owe you a couple of dinners from Chattanooga plus an MA shirt, (I understand Paul had his involvement in that as well), and the best way I could repay that debt is for you to finagle a way to come by on one of your business trips! Work on that will you? Please? :)

Dad

Back