• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Operation Hunley Petticoat

To be exact, the Hunley docked on Inlet Creek, that would be to the west of the bridge which obviously was not there at the time. Also on Sullivan's (the island to the west) at Breech Inlet was Battery Marshall(Click the link geek, it's interesting). You can see some of the footings for the gun emplacements even today, I know of a house that is built on one of the semicircle gun mounts.

Bob, here is how that water looks, Grey brown. Ugh!

h429ec25.jpg

Thanks Paul, I appreciate that!

To be exact, the Hunley docked on Inlet Creek, that would be to the west of the bridge which obviously was not there at the time. Also on Sullivan's (the island to the west) at Breech Inlet was Battery Marshall(Click the link geek, it's interesting). You can see some of the footings for the gun emplacements even today, I know of a house that is built on one of the semicircle gun mounts.

Holy Crap!

Were you there? I coulda been, but was busy somewhere else! :yipee

I'll check it out!

Kinda...read some books about the Hunley that was well sourced. I've been to IOP and Sully's many times, fun stories that include White Russians and driving my old pickup truck downtown Charleston but that's for another time...:drink

We stayed at a house that had this strange footing to it, I couldn't figure out what this was, kept looking at it then it dawned on me when I saw the same structure out on the beach, I could see the entire thing.

h84cdaf4.jpg

The metal rail was the track for the gun mount to swing around.

Fort_Moultrie_Battery_B_Panama_Mounts_-_4.jpg

This is one of the Battery B mounts out in the sand. That's how much erosion has happened over the years, this mount was many yards from the beach back then.

These structures were from the Coastal Command era up to WWII, not Civil war times but the Battery was built on existing gun emplacements.

And Oh, We also stopped the British at Breach Inlet during the Revolution.

https://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_breach_inlet_naval_battle.html

Isle of Palms was known as Long Island back then.

I tell ya, down around Charleston you can't take a step without stepping on some history.

And Oh, We also stopped the British at Breach Inlet during the Revolution.

https://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_breach_inlet_naval_battle.html

Isle of Palms was known as Long Island back then.

I tell ya, down around Charleston you can't take a step without stepping on some history.

You know, we have always wanted to visit Charleston. We've heard so much about it. We've driven through S.C. many times over the years and for some reason or other never did! In fact, the time we visited you, Christian and Adam, we had planned on it and I can't remember why but missed it again. We love Savannah, with all the antebellum houses and history. We've been told that Charleston is even better!

Sigh! Maybe some day!

Savannah is cool, but it's in Georgia. Not sure if we'll be allowed back in...
:rotf

Back