• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tiger II the King

I think they were red below the sponsons and white above. Of course by the end, all bets are off.

Nice work Bob
:popcorn

Man there's so much going on around here it's not funny. By the time I get a chance to sit down I'm done for the day. I got in just an hour or so this week, today as a matter of fact. More parts I put in this thing the more I find I gotta do. Started work on the engine and engine bay. Nothing really to show yet.

Checkin' out photos of the Maybach, so what color, Black or German Black Green?

I've always painted the German engines black, but who knows for sure? Didn't we all think that Jap Zeroes were yellow until the 70's. Gary S.

The interior colour would depend upon when your Tiger II was built. For a period between October 1944 and the end of January 1945 an order was in place to leave the entire interior in the red-brown primer colour. Prior to this order, the lower hull (torsion bars, transmission shafts, floor panels, stowage boxes) would have been in the primer colour. The upper part of the fighting compartment and turret (excluding the turret floor) were painted in ivory/light beige. This scheme was re-introduced in February 1945.

On Tiger II's the ivory paint was carried down the side and rear walls of the lower hull to floor level with the exception of the nose plates were the ivory stopped about half way down.

Cheers,
Rich

Engine color......

he5d22bd.jpg

ha0582cb.jpg

h14a7c1d.jpg

The interior colour would depend upon when your Tiger II was built. For a period between October 1944 and the end of January 1945 an order was in place to leave the entire interior in the red-brown primer colour. Prior to this order, the lower hull (torsion bars, transmission shafts, floor panels, stowage boxes) would have been in the primer colour. The upper part of the fighting compartment and turret (excluding the turret floor) were painted in ivory/light beige. This scheme was re-introduced in February 1945.

On Tiger II's the ivory paint was carried down the side and rear walls of the lower hull to floor level with the exception of the nose plates were the ivory stopped about half way down.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Rich, yeah I keep reading this. I guess since I'm doing an Ardennes TigerII it should be all primer.

gonna be dark down in there.

Thanks Terry, black green it looks like to me. :good:

h0dae521.JPG

The engine pictured looks like the engine from my Tiger I model. I'm amazed about how small in diameter the drive shaft is.

h5d1d7d2.jpg

I think this is a Tiger II engine. I've even read in one of my books that the later KT's were painted dark green inside and out. Gary S.

MIG's Ammo interior set has a dark gray for the engines. I've always heard they were satin black from the factory. They gray will look great once its all weathered up.

Marching right along Bob!

:soldier

Don't suppose they would be Panzer gray with a satin finish , or would that be too easy ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Don't suppose they would be Panzer gray with a satin finish , or would that be too easy ?

Cheers, Christian B)

looks like a lot of green in there Chris. Hell it's gonna be in the bowels of this thing so not like anyone will notice. :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

looks like a lot of green in there Chris. Hell it's gonna be in the bowels of this thing so not like anyone will notice. :soldier

Well I know but not being knowledgeable on the subject matter, I can't help but wonder . Panzer gray is very dark when newly applied .

Cheers, Christian B)

h0dae521.JPG

The engine pictured looks like the engine from my Tiger I model. I'm amazed about how small in diameter the drive shaft is.

h5d1d7d2.jpg

I think this is a Tiger II engine. I've even read in one of my books that the later KT's were painted dark green inside and out. Gary S.

Something to consider, this engine is rebuilt. It might not be even close to the original color let alone the color it would be after a bit of use and a lot of dust. Have seen a lot of aircraft engine photos and many, if rebuilt or restored, are not even close to the original color.

A good example would be the engine for my T-90 tank. Had several photos of that type engine. Some photos showed it painted red, others it was a medium blue. That is for a modern tank still in service. :hmmm Eventually went with the blue.

Still a great reference photo though.

I tell ya what, if someone who really wanted to go to town on this thing it's got the parts.

hbd05b35.jpg

h20d8cd2.jpg

So I got the Red Oxide set from Mig to help this out some, it comes with Dark Wash, Neutral Wash, Brick Red and Red Oxide oils and two filters. But no Red Oxide...... :bang head :bang head

Back